CosmoCoffee Forum Index CosmoCoffee

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistSmartFeed   MemberlistMemberlist    RegisterRegister 
   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Arxiv New Filter | Bookmarks & clubs | Arxiv ref/author:

Relationship between nside and CAMB lmax

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CosmoCoffee Forum Index -> Computers and software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evan B

Affiliation: student

PostPosted: December 12 2015  Reply with quote

For full-sky map WMAP/Planck products, 'nside' is set to nside=1024 or nside=2048. I have no problem running CAMB outputs up to lmax=2400 or so.

However, I am confused what this means when we degrade the resolution of these maps.

Let's say I degrade a map of nside=2048 (which is a map of around 50e6 pixels) to nside=16 (which is a map of 3072 total pixels). What is the maximum `lmax` at which CAMB outputs remain relevant?

Is there a rule of thumb, or a mathematical correlation here?
Antony Lewis

Affiliation: University of Sussex

PostPosted: December 12 2015  Reply with quote

The Healpix rule of thumb (default) is lmax = 3*nside−1.
Evan B

Affiliation: student

PostPosted: December 13 2015  Reply with quote

Thanks.

So, when I degrade the map's resolution, there must be significant cosmological information which is lost.

My concrete example in mind is for cosmological parameters. If I am using a sky map nside=16, and lmax=47, can I say anything about cosmological parameters?

Take WMAP, three-year results for polarization. In Appendix D, the full sky maps at set to nside=16, nside=8 to determine τ. So they used CAMB outputs up to lmax=47, lmax=23? That's very little information.

Can one use the same method to determine cosmological parameters like Ωmatter? Wouldn't you need CAMB scalar TT Cell outputs up to lmax=1500 or so?

Another concrete example I run into:
What if I am working with a heavily masked sky map, and I only access 1/4 of the sky map.

How can I think about lmax in this situation? The pixels are at a fairly high-resolution (say, nside=512, total pixels around 3e6). However, I'm only accessing less than 1e6 pixels.

There's some relationship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CosmoCoffee Forum Index -> Computers and software All times are GMT + 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: