[1102.2357] Search for supersymmetry using final states with one lepton, jets, and missing transverse momentum with the ATLAS detector in sqrt{s} = 7 TeV pp

Authors:  The ATLAS Collaboration
Abstract:  This Letter presents the first search for supersymmetry in final states containing one isolated electron or muon, jets, and missing transverse momentum from sqrt{s} = 7 TeV proton-proton collisions at the LHC. The data were recorded by the ATLAS experiment during 2010 and correspond to a total integrated luminosity of 35 pb-1. No excess above the standard model background expectation is observed. Limits are set on the parameters of the minimal supergravity framework, extending previous limits. For A_0 = 0 GeV, tan beta = 3, mu > 0 and for equal squark and gluino masses, gluino masses below 700 GeV are excluded at 95% confidence level.
[PDF]  [PS]  [BibTex]  [Bookmark]

Discussion related to specific recent arXiv papers
Rainer W. Kühne
Affiliation: unemployed

[1102.2357] Search for supersymmetry using final states wit

Post by Rainer W. Kühne » March 08 2011

This article authored by the ATLAS Collaboration of the LHC presents tight limits for supersymmetry. Light supersymmetric particles, which have been predicted, have not been observed.

Several comments on this article have already been published, see e. g.
G. Brumfiel: Nature 471 (2011) 13 - 14.

I am not so surprised that signs of light supersymmetric particles have not been detected. I predict that supersymmetry will not be confirmed. My arguments are the following.

(1) The main reason for supersymmetry is that it can explain some shortcomings of minimal Grand Unified Theories, i. e. the mass-hierarchy problem and the non-observation of the proton decay (lower limit: mean proton lifetime of 10^33 years).

But this argument requires that there is Grand Unification.

In 1997 I suggested hep-ph/9708394 a generalization of quantum electrodynamics, called quantum electromagnetodynamics. This theory is based on the gauge group U(1) x U'(1). In contrast to QED it describes electricity and magnetism as symmetrical as possible. Moreover it explains the quantization of electric charge. It includes electric and magnetic charges (Dirac magnetic monopoles) and two kinds of photon, the conventional Einstein electric photon and the hypothetical Salam magnetic photon. The electric-magnetic duality of this theory reads:

electric charge — magnetic charge
electric current — magnetic current
electric conductivity — magnetic conductivity
electric field strength — magnetic field strength
electric four-potential — magnetic four-potential
electric photon — magnetic photon
electric field constant — magnetic field constant
dielectricity number — magnetic permeability

Because of the U(1) x U'(1) group structure and the Dirac quantization condition e * g = h (unit electric charge times unit magnetic charge is equal to the Planck constant), this theory is hard to agree with Grand Unification. Although a group such as SU(5) x SU'(5) is in principle not impossible.

(2) Another reason for supersymmetry is that it can explain the existence of (anti-symmetrical) fermions in an otherwise symmetrical theory (such as Special Relativity and General Relativity).

However, it has long been known that a generalization of General Relativity which includes anti-symmetry is Einstein-Cartan theory. The affine connection of this theory includes not only the non-Lorentz invariant symmetrical Christoffel symbol but also the Lorentz invariant anti-symmetrical Torsion tensor.

Within the framework of a quantum field theory, the Torsion tensor corresponds to a spin-three boson called tordion, which was introduced in 1976 by F. Hehl et al.

In 1999 I discussed gr-qc/9806026 the properties of the tordion. Moreover I sugested that the electric-magnetic duality is analogous to the mass-spin duality. This analogy reads:

electric charge — magnetic charge
mass — spin

electric field constant — magnetic field constant
gravitational constant — reduced Planck constant

electric four-potential — magnetic four-potential
metric tensor — torsion tensor

electric photon — magnetic photon
graviton — tordion

(3) Supersymmetric theories including superstring and M theory have not much predictive power. For example, so far no one has shown that these theories predict the empirically obvious Naturkonstanten-Gleichung (fundamental equation of unified field theory astro-ph/9908356):

ln (kappa * c * H * M) = -1 / alpha)

where kappa is the Einstein field constant, c is the speed of light, H is the Hubble constant, M is the Planck mass, and alpha is the fine-structure constant. By using the WMAP-5 value

H = (70.5 +/- 1.3) km / (s * Mpc)

(E. Komatsu et al.: Astrophys. J. Suppl. Series 180 (2009) 330 - 376) the left-hand side yields

ln (kappa * c * H * M) = - 137.025(19)

which is within the error bars equal to

- 1 / alpha = - 137.035 999 679(94)