cosmomc: resources requirements

Use of Cobaya. camb, CLASS, cosmomc, compilers, etc.
César Terrero-Escalante
Affiliation: CINVESTAV

Post by César Terrero-Escalante » June 19 2008

To open an account in a supercomputer and installing CosmoMC I have to specify,

1.- How many hours per processor I need for each running of the code,

2.- How much space I need in the hard disk to keep the programs, the input and the output data, as well as the temporary output,

3.- the average amount of memory per processor during each running.

Can anybody help me? It will be fine if the maximal possible (reasonable) amount of each resource is given.

Pascal Vaudrevange
Affiliation: DESY

Post by Pascal Vaudrevange » June 20 2008

Hi Cesar,

the best way to test the hard disk space requirements is to download and install cosmomc on your desktop and see how much it uses. I only have some rough numbers from memory for cosmomc's nov 06 version with WMAP3yr likelihood:

1. Hours per processor:
This depends a lot on the speed of the individual processor. On an Intel Xeon E5310 (1.6GHz) you need to run each chain for less than 10hours.

2. Hard disk space:
- Cosmomc takes about 30 MB.
- Add to this the size of the WMAP likelihood code (which you need to download seperately from http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov) of 600MB for WMAP3. As far as I know, WMAP5 uses about the same amount of space.
- you might need to install healpix and cfitsio which weigh about 100MB combined.
- Each chain it generates takes about 2MB and generally you run 4-8 chains.

-> Ask for 1.5 GB and you should be safe to run plenty of chains.

3. Memory per processor:
Cosmomc with WMAP3 likelihood needs a peak memory requirement of roughly 600MB/process during the initialization phase. After initializing it needs about 400MB/process. I am not sure about WMAP5.

But as I said in the beginning, these number are from memory and for older versions and you should better download everything onto your desktop and check the space requirements there

César Terrero-Escalante
Affiliation: CINVESTAV

Re: cosmomc: resources requirements

Post by César Terrero-Escalante » June 25 2008

Hi Pascal, you have been very helpful. Thank you very much.

Pascal Vaudrevange wrote:Hi Cesar,

the best way to test the hard disk space requirements is to download and install cosmomc on your desktop and see how much it uses. I only have some rough numbers from memory for cosmomc's nov 06 version with WMAP3yr likelihood:

1. Hours per processor:
This depends a lot on the speed of the individual processor. On an Intel Xeon E5310 (1.6GHz) you need to run each chain for less than 10hours.

2. Hard disk space:
- Cosmomc takes about 30 MB.
- Add to this the size of the WMAP likelihood code (which you need to download seperately from http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov) of 600MB for WMAP3. As far as I know, WMAP5 uses about the same amount of space.
- you might need to install healpix and cfitsio which weigh about 100MB combined.
- Each chain it generates takes about 2MB and generally you run 4-8 chains.

-> Ask for 1.5 GB and you should be safe to run plenty of chains.

3. Memory per processor:
Cosmomc with WMAP3 likelihood needs a peak memory requirement of roughly 600MB/process during the initialization phase. After initializing it needs about 400MB/process. I am not sure about WMAP5.

But as I said in the beginning, these number are from memory and for older versions and you should better download everything onto your desktop and check the space requirements there