all the talks will be lame except mine
10%

Total votes: 10

Simon DeDeo
Affiliation: Santa Fe Institute

Proposal: \"Testing Inflation and its Alternatives\&quo

Post by Simon DeDeo » November 03 2006

Hello all --

We (mostly I, this is my fault) are thinking about putting together a short two or three day conference here at KICP with the tentative title of "Testing Inflation and its Alternatives". The idea would be to discuss how to test inflation within the context of contrasting it with other, more speculative models.

Broadly, we might expect people to either discuss new ways to probe inflationary physics with upcoming or pie-in-the-sky projects, on the one hand, or on the other to talk about or introduce models other than the usual single-field-slow-roll and, possibly, the different kinds of testable predictions they might make.

Is this of interest to the community? There has been talk also of broadening the mandate to include dark energy discussions -- are people interested in that more broad kind of meeting? Or would folks prefer it to be much more focused?

To me the goal would be to bring the phenomenologists and experimentalists together with the more theoretical types and show each other some new tricks.

Do reply to this post, or if you like, drop me an e-mail privately to simon[at]kicp.uchicago.edu

Thanks folks!

Simon

Niayesh Afshordi
Affiliation: Perimeter Institute/ University of Waterloo

Post by Niayesh Afshordi » November 06 2006

I think it's a great idea either way, but I'll be more likely to come if dark energy is included in the agenda. On the other hand, limiting the scope to inflation allows more in-depth discussions, etc.

Jochen Weller
Affiliation: Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich

Post by Jochen Weller » November 07 2006

This sounds cool. Personally I would come if dark energy is included
How about: "Testing the standard cosmological model and its Alternatives"