CosmoCoffee Forum Index CosmoCoffee

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistSmartFeed   MemberlistMemberlist    RegisterRegister 
   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Arxiv New Filter | Bookmarks & clubs | Arxiv ref/author:

CAMB/CosmoMC: Matter Power Spectrum for w!=-1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CosmoCoffee Forum Index -> Computers and software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tijmen de Haan

Affiliation: UC Berkeley

PostPosted: December 02 2015  Reply with quote

I'm finding significant differences between the matter power spectrum obtained through a direct CAMB call, and that available through the PK%PowerAt function in CosmoMC.

Here's the minimal way I was able to reproduce the issue:
1) I downloaded the latest version of CAMB (as of the time of this post), changed "get_transfer = T" in params.ini and plotted the contents of the resulting "test_matterpower.dat"
2) I downloaded the latest version of CosmoMC and added a print statement that prints a k array and the output of PK%PowerAt at those values of k and z=0. I compiled and ran CosmoMC with a minimal .ini file that sets the cosmological parameters to those printed out by CAMB in step 1). I copied the output and overplotted. I find that the resulting matter power spectra P(k,z=0) agree to roughly 1%.

3) I now changed only w=−1 to w=−1.5 in both the CAMB params.ini file and the CosmoMC .ini file and reran both. This results in a disagreement of nearly a factor of two around k~0.01, smoothly changing to percent level agreement at k~1.

A colleague of mine independently verified this problem. Thanks in advance for any help or insights you can offer.
Antony Lewis

Affiliation: University of Sussex

PostPosted: December 02 2015  Reply with quote

Are you sure the parameters being used by CAMB are the same?

in Case (1) for example, CosmoMC will be setting transfer_high_precision =T (and the kmax is probably also different)

In Case(2), If you just changed the w input parameter in Cosmomc, that will change H0 at fixed theta (since theta is also another input parameter, which I assume you left unchanged?). In the CAMB .ini file, H0 is specified directly instead of theta, so you will be changing w at fixed H0 (and hence varying theta).
Tijmen de Haan

Affiliation: UC Berkeley

PostPosted: December 03 2015  Reply with quote

After updating theta along with w in CosmoMC so as to get a consistent H0, I find the two agree at the percent level. Thanks for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CosmoCoffee Forum Index -> Computers and software All times are GMT + 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: