CosmoMC help for a student

Use of Cobaya. camb, CLASS, cosmomc, compilers, etc.
Varun Iyer
Affiliation: Illinois Math and Science Academy

CosmoMC help for a student

Post by Varun Iyer » November 02 2013

Hi,
I am a high school student trying to use CosmoMC to find the following cosmological parameters using the Planck likelihood code: the physical baryon density, the physical dark matter density, the reionization optical depth, the scale spectral index, the tensor spectral index, and the equation of state of the dark energy. I am very new to this program and this area and I am doing this for a school project so I could really use some guidance. I have never used Fortran before and I have a Windows 8.1 OS. If someone could give me some step by step guidance on how to do this I would greatly appreciate it. I have no experience with Fortran, so it would help with some detailed explanations. This includes downloading the necessary files and software, compiling the program, and running it to get results. I understand it is a bit of a hassle but I could really use some assistance. Thanks a lot!

Antony Lewis
Affiliation: University of Sussex

Re: CosmoMC help for a student

Post by Antony Lewis » November 04 2013

A windows 8.1 machine is probably not ideal. You could get Intel Fortran Composer with comes with Visual Studio (which is how I develop), but I've never tried setting up MPI on Windows and always upload to a bigger computer for actual runs.