CosmoMC on Mac

Use of Cobaya. camb, CLASS, cosmomc, compilers, etc.
Xin Wang
Affiliation: NAOC/NJU

CosmoMC on Mac

Post by Xin Wang » August 28 2013

Hi,

Has anyone been using cosmomc on Macbook pro? If so, could you please tell me which fortran compiler you choose, gfortran, ifort (which version)? It seems that the latest v13 ifort on Mac is not free. Do you think there's any alternatives to run the latest cosmomc?

Besides for gfortran, is there any easy way to install LAPACK?

Thanks very much!

Antony Lewis
Affiliation: University of Sussex

Re: CosmoMC on Mac

Post by Antony Lewis » August 28 2013

You'll need ifort 13+, I don't know of any alternative. Not free, but does usually come with MKL so LAPACK is included.

Xin Wang
Affiliation: NAOC/NJU

Re: CosmoMC on Mac

Post by Xin Wang » September 03 2013

Hi, Antony,

I managed to get the Mac version ifort13 and create the executable files cosmomc and getdist, but with the following warnings,
ipo: warning #11010: file format not recognized for /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.10.5.dylib
ld: warning: ignoring file /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.10.5.dylib, missing required architecture x86_64 in file /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.10.5.dylib (2 slices)
When I was trying to make a test run using the Planck data, I was returned with the following error
dyld: Library not loaded: libcfitsio.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/xlmeng/local/plc_1.0/plc-1.0/build/src/libclik_f90.dylib
Reason: image not found
dyld: Library not loaded: libcfitsio.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/xlmeng/local/plc_1.0/plc-1.0/build/src/libclik_f90.dylib
Reason: image not found
Could you share some ideas on this problem? Do you think this is related to the problematic installment of gsl or cfitsio, or both?

Thanks very much!

Sheng Li
Affiliation: University of Sussex

CosmoMC on Mac

Post by Sheng Li » September 12 2013

As Antony said, also I think there is no way to compile on Mac if you don't have Intel for Mac and insist on doing cosmomc with Intel stuff.

You have, I think, two alternatives either to use other compiler or to use cosmomc on Linux/Win.

(there might be a choice for you, to build a subsystem on you Mac --- provided that you are going to use desktop not notebook.
But, if you have done some work with CosmoMC, you might have known that MPI stuff sucks up as many resource as it could from you system.
So, be ware of doing anything which is mpi heavily involved if using Mac any-book.
)