CosmoMC: Updated PPF Module for w_0, w_a constraints

Use of Cobaya. camb, CLASS, cosmomc, compilers, etc.
Ben Brown
Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh

Post by Ben Brown » September 20 2011

I've tried to apply Wenjuan's PPF module found here: http://camb.info/ppf/. It no longer compiles, due to updates to the vanilla Camb implementation (esp equations.f90).

How should I modify the new Camb? Should I try to re-implement the modifications in the source to allow w to vary? Or is there an implementation of this already available?

Edit: "new Camb" is the June 2011 version of equations.f90, packaged with the July 2011 version of camb.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Brown

Post by Ben Brown » September 28 2011

I'm sure that this is a common interest. I assumed that the old, modified camb source files found here http://camb.info/ppf/ should not be expected to compile, and therefore didn't post compilation errors, etc.

Details:

After following the directions to replace (as opposed to modifying the makefile found in camb/) equations.f90, etc:

Code: Select all

$ make camb
cd ../camb && make --file=Makefile_main libcamb.a
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ben/packages/cosmomc/camb'
ifort -O2 -W0 -WB -fpp -Vaxlib -c equations.f90
equations.f90(1352): error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type.   [DLFDLQ]
           y(EV%iq0+off_ix+i-1)=-0.25_dl*dlfdlq(i)*InitVec(i_clxr)
-----------------------------------------^
equations.f90(1797): error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type.   [DQ]
                q=(i-0.5_dl)*dq
-----------------------------^
equations.f90(1806): error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type.   [DLFDLQ]
                     -k*2._dl/15._dl*sigma*dlfdlq(i)
-------------------------------------------^
equations.f90(2232): error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type.   [DLFDLQ]
However, getting the old ppf module to work in this manner with the otherwise updated camb is probably not optimal to the community, since the improvements to CAMB are welcome ones.

Jannis Bielefeld
Affiliation: Dartmouth

Post by Jannis Bielefeld » October 04 2011

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem and think that this should be addressed soon, as this package has a broad common interest.

I am also using the July 2011 version of CAMB.

Savvas Nesseris
Affiliation: UAM/IFT

Post by Savvas Nesseris » October 04 2011

I agree that it is very useful.

@Antony: Perhaps the PPF module could be updated and become part of the official code, so that it does not become obsolete?

Wenjuan Fang
Affiliation: University of Michigan

Post by Wenjuan Fang » October 04 2011

Thank you all for your interests in the code. I'll take a look at the problem and try to update it as soon as I can.

Ben Brown

Post by Ben Brown » October 04 2011

Wenjuan-
Thank you so much for your attention and contribution!
-Ben

Ben Brown

Post by Ben Brown » October 26 2011

Wenjuan-
Have you had a chance to look at this yet?

I might simply use an older version of cosmomc to get the likelihood constraints I'm calculating using the original ppf module.
-Ben

Wenjuan Fang
Affiliation: University of Michigan

Post by Wenjuan Fang » April 27 2012

Hi guys,

The PPF module has been updated finally (check the PPF webpage). Sorry for such a delay, I was held up by various things related to job application. Right now, the updated code does not support massive neutrinos. If you want to use the PPF module to study massive neutrinos, you may want to use the old code, or check the PPF webpage at a later date. In the updated code, setcgammappf is called in init_background, instead of in inidriver.F90 as in the old code. This ensures that c_Gamma_ppf is set to the correct value while CosmoMC and the modified CAMB are run together. Thanks Michael Mortonson, Antonio Cuesta, and Kushal Mehta for making this suggestion! Let me know if you find any problem with the updated code.

-Wenjuan

Savvas Nesseris
Affiliation: UAM/IFT

Post by Savvas Nesseris » May 08 2012

Many thanks! If you don't mind, I will check if I can integrate it with my CAMB mathematica interface, which is long overdue for an update anyway :D

Cheers

Hamzeh Alavi
Affiliation: KIT

Re: CosmoMC: Updated PPF Module for w_0, w_a constraints

Post by Hamzeh Alavi » November 19 2012

Wenjuan Fang wrote:Hi guys,

The PPF module has been updated finally (check the PPF webpage). Sorry for such a delay, I was held up by various things related to job application. Right now, the updated code does not support massive neutrinos. If you want to use the PPF module to study massive neutrinos, you may want to use the old code, or check the PPF webpage at a later date. In the updated code, setcgammappf is called in init_background, instead of in inidriver.F90 as in the old code. This ensures that c_Gamma_ppf is set to the correct value while CosmoMC and the modified CAMB are run together. Thanks Michael Mortonson, Antonio Cuesta, and Kushal Mehta for making this suggestion! Let me know if you find any problem with the updated code.

-Wenjuan
Hi Wenjuan

I'm trying to add w0_ppf and wa_ppf to cosmomc, but I got this error as mentioned in http://cosmocoffee.info/viewtopic.php?p=5589#5589

Random seeds: 1717, 15182 rand_inst: 0
Computing tensors: F
Doing CMB lensing: T
lmax = 2100
Number of C_ls = 4
Varying 9 parameters ( 0 fast)
starting Monte-Carlo
Initialising BBN Helium data...
bad xa input in splint

how should I fix it?

Antony Lewis
Affiliation: University of Sussex

Re: CosmoMC: Updated PPF Module for w_0, w_a constraints

Post by Antony Lewis » November 19 2012

Does it work if you run LCDM model with your modified code? I have been running cosmomc chains uing equations_ppf.f90 included with the latest CAMB version no problem.