CosmoCoffee Forum Index CosmoCoffee

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistSmartFeed   MemberlistMemberlist    RegisterRegister 
   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Arxiv New Filter | Bookmarks & clubs | Arxiv ref/author:

CMB data help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CosmoCoffee Forum Index -> Cosmological Observations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhao Wen

Affiliation: USTC Hefei China

PostPosted: February 08 2008  Reply with quote

Dear friends:
Who can explain the meaning of binned data of CMB power spectra? How to get the binned data (mean value and the error bar) from the unbinned data? or introduce a paper for me? Thanks a lot!
Sarah Bridle

Affiliation: University College London (UCL)

I thought the binned data was just the weighted mean of the unbinned data (with the weighted mean error bar)? It certainly makes for a sensible looking plot..
Zhao Wen

Thank you very much! But, as we known, in the bined data, the error bar is much smaller than the unbined data. If is only the weighted mean, the error bar of binned data can not be obtained.

Sarah Bridle wrote:
I thought the binned data was just the weighted mean of the unbinned data (with the weighted mean error bar)? It certainly makes for a sensible looking plot..
Anze Slosar

Affiliation: Brookhaven National Laboratory

PostPosted: February 09 2008  Reply with quote

Zhao Wen wrote:
Thank you very much! But, as we known, in the bined data, the error bar is much smaller than the unbined data. If is only the weighted mean, the error bar of binned data can not be obtained.

Sarah Bridle wrote:

If you add 1/σ2 it should probably be good enough for most purposes...., i.e. 1/σbinned2 = 1/σi2
Zhao Wen

PostPosted: February 13 2008  Reply with quote

Thank you very much! I have known it!

Anze Slosar wrote:
Zhao Wen wrote:

Sarah Bridle wrote:

If you add 1/σ2 it should probably be good enough for most purposes...., i.e. 1/σbinned2 = 1/σi2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CosmoCoffee Forum Index -> Cosmological Observations All times are GMT + 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: