CosmoCoffee Forum Index CosmoCoffee

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistSmartFeed   MemberlistMemberlist    RegisterRegister 
   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Arxiv New Filter | Bookmarks & clubs | Arxiv ref/author:

APS thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CosmoCoffee Forum Index -> Teaching, Papers and Presentations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kate Land

Affiliation: Oxford University

PostPosted: January 16 2008  Reply with quote

Not sure where to put this post... but I was wondering how others felt about the recent 'Thank you for refereeing for the APS' email informing us that
Quote:
To express our appreciation for the essential work that anonymous peer reviewers do for our journals, we are starting an annual program to recognize approximately 130 of our 42,000 active referees each year as "Outstanding Referees". Each awardee will receive a certificate and pin, and we hope to thank each in person at one of our annual APS meetings. The list of Outstanding Referees will be published online and in the journals although each can choose not to be recognized publicly.

A certificate and a pin!! Feels like a bit of a slap in the face, not that many of us are going to be in this top 0.3% of referees. Given that they've taken the big step of 'rewarding' some reviewers, I can't quite believe that this is all they came up with... or has something got lost in translation (like 'pin'=money)?!
Alessandro Melchiorri

Affiliation: University of Rome

PostPosted: January 17 2008  Reply with quote

This could explain why I am waiting a referee report from PRL since
October (4 months...)
Pier Stefano Corasaniti

Affiliation: LUTH, Observatoire de Paris-Meudon

PostPosted: January 17 2008  Reply with quote

maybe there was a misspelling..
Quote:
Each awardee will receive a certificate and a pint, and we hope to thank each in person at one of our annual APS meetings.
..it makes more sense to be rewarded with a pint rather than a pin...above all after reviewing a long paper.
Simon DeDeo

Affiliation: Santa Fe Institute

PostPosted: January 18 2008  Reply with quote

Actually, "pin" here is "PIN". It's the access code to the super-secret Swiss vault that the APS maintains. The certificate is suitable for framing.
Alessandro Melchiorri

Affiliation: University of Rome

PostPosted: January 18 2008  Reply with quote

I wonder if one will have to pay for thia pin once he receives it...
BTW if someone gets one, I offer 1 dollar !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CosmoCoffee Forum Index -> Teaching, Papers and Presentations All times are GMT + 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: