cosmomc: n_t error when adding new parameter unrelated to n_t/inflation

Use of Cobaya. camb, CLASS, cosmomc, compilers, etc.
Sofie Marie Koksbang
Affiliation: CP3, University of Southern Denmark

cosmomc: n_t error when adding new parameter unrelated to n_

Post by Sofie Marie Koksbang » February 27 2017

Hi,

I have added a new parameter to CAMB and cosmoMC (Nov2016 version). CAMB runs fine, but when I try to run cosmoMC, it stops with the following error message:

Fast divided into 1 blocks
21 parameters ( 7 slow (0 semi-slow), 14 fast (0 semi-fast) )
Starting Monte-Carlo
Error: inflation_consistency but n\_t not set to zero
MpiStop: 0

I have not altered any inflation-settings, so e.g. in the /batch2/params_CMB_defaults.ini, inflation_consistency is set to T and nt = 0 is also set (although a comment notifies that this will be ignored when inflation_consistency is set to T).
The new parameter has nothing to do with inflation or nt, so I really don’t understand why this error occurs.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas as to why this error occurs.

P.S. When adding the new parameter, I follow the description given in http://cosmocoffee.info/viewtopic.php?t ... c&start=15 . I have made no other changes to cosmoMC and the changes I have made in CAMB are not related to inflation or nt.

Antony Lewis
Affiliation: University of Sussex

Re: cosmomc: n_t error when adding new parameter unrelated t

Post by Antony Lewis » February 27 2017

I expect the mapping between parameter array indices and physical parameters got mixed up when adding your new parameter, e.g. check your CosmologyParameterizations.f90

Sofie Marie Koksbang

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply.
Yes, this could very well be the case, because I am a little confused about the .paramnames file: I keep simply using the params_CMB.paramnames and add my new parameter, a_switch, at the bottom of this file. This makes it parameter number 47 in this file. But before adding a_switch, there were only 16 theory-parameters (line 74 in CosmologyParameterizations.f90). I change this to 17 and have tried adding a_switch in SetForH both as "CMB%a_switch = Params(17)" and "CMB%a_switch = Params(47)" (I have also tried adding a_switch as a real(mcp) in SetForH and then simply setting "a_switch = Params(17)" or "a_switch = Params(47)" because this is what is done in the posting I linked to before). I get the same error regardless of which I choose, but maybe I am missing some important detail of how to work with the .paramnames file?

Antony Lewis

Post by Antony Lewis » February 27 2017

If you are adding a theory parameter you want to add it in the corresponding place in the paramnames file (line 17).

Sofie Marie Koksbang

Ok, I have made sure that a_switch is added in line 17 of params_CMB.paramnames and that it is entered as Params(17) in SetForH. The error message is different now, and is as follows:

Computing tensors: F
max_eta_k = 14000.00
transfer kmax = 5.000000
SetTheoryParameterNumbers: parameter numbers do not match
MpiStop 0

I have already changed line 74 in CosmologyParameterizations.f90 to include 17 instead of 16 parameters (i.e. the line now reads "call this%SetTheoryParameterNumbers(17,last_power_index)"), so this should not be the problem. Are there other places where I have to change such numbers to let cosmoMC know that there has been added a parameter?

Erick Almaraz
Affiliation: University of Mexico

Post by Erick Almaraz » February 27 2017

I don't know if this is mandatory, but in my case I declared the extra parameter in

Code: Select all

Type, extends(TTheoryParams) :: CMBParams
in CosmologyTypes.f90

Sofie Marie Koksbang

Post by Sofie Marie Koksbang » February 28 2017

Hi,

I'm pretty sure this is mandatory and I have already done it, but thank you anyway.

Sofie Marie Koksbang

Hi,

I looked a little more in source/CosmologyTypes.f90 and tried adding "+1" in line 141 so that it now reads:

num_initpower = semi_slow_num+1

The code runs without errors now, but this change was not mentioned in the topic I linked to in my initial post (i.e. in http://cosmocoffee.info/viewtopic.php?t ... c&start=15 ) so I am a little unsure if I am doing the correct thing, or if I have added my new parameter incorrectly somehow.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on whether or not it seems reasonable that I had to change num_initpower.

Antony Lewis

Post by Antony Lewis » February 28 2017

You shouldn't have to change that. It sounds as though your .paramnames is still inconsistent, make sure the number of lines in params_CMB.paramnames matches the sum of the arguments you are passing to SetTheoryParameterNumbers.

Sofie Marie Koksbang

Hi,

Thank you for letting me know that the "solution" is NOT a solution!

Originally (before I changed anything in the code), line 74 in sources/CosmologyParameterization.f90 read:

call this%SetTheoryParameteNumbers(16,last_power_index)

I added a_switch as line 17 in paramnames/params_CMB.paramnames and therefore changed the above line to:

call this%SetTheoryParameteNumbers(17,last_power_index)

I.e. I changed "16" to "17" after adding a single parameter. Should I have done it differently?

P.S. paramnames/params_CMB.paramnames is entirely unaltered compared to its original version except that I add a_Switch in line 17 (there seems to be some parameters in the file that aren't used, but I haven't deleted any because I don't want to accidentally delete a line that is in fact used somewhere...)

Sofie Marie Koksbang

Could it be that I am supposed to change lines 12-13 in sources/CosmologyTypes.f90? Those lines currently read:

integer, parameter :: As_index=1, ns_index=2, nrun_index=3, nrunrun_index =4, amp_ratio_index = 5, &
& nt_index = 6, ntrun_index = 7, Aphiphi_index = 8, last_power_index = Aphiphi_index

Do I need to change these indexes now that I have inserted a_switch in line 17 in paramnames/params_CM.paramnames such that A_s, ns, nrun etc. have all been moved down one line in paramnames/params_CM.paramnames?..."last_power_index" is used as the second input in SetTheoryParameterNumbers in source/CosmologyParameterizations.f90, so if Aphiphi_index and hence last_power_index need to be changed, this could be why SetTheoryParameterNumbers gives the error?

As it is currently, SetTheoryParemeterNumbers gets the inputs "17" and "last_power_index" = "Aphiphi_index" = 8, i.e. the total number is 17+8 = 25 which is the number of lines with theory parameters (parameters without a "*") in paramnames/params_CMB.paramnames.

Sofie Marie Koksbang

Hi Antony and Erick,

I think the problem is fixed now: I removed the paramnames file and copied a new one from a cosmoMC-version that I haven't altered at all. Then I added a_Switch in line 17 of the paramnames-file and now it's running. So, it seems that the problem was originally my misplacement of a_switch in params_CMB.paramnames and then before that got fixed, I must have messed up something in the file or entire directory (I sometimes accidentally "vim" into directories and start typing before I realize my mistake - maybe that has messed up the paramnames-directory...)

Thank you both for your suggestions and your time.