List of people looking for positions?

Listings (see also AAS list, SPIRES and rumour mills astro-wiki, hep).

Should there be a "looking for a job" wiki?

Yes
89%
No
9%
Yes, subject to the comment I have posted
3%

Total votes: 35

Sarah Bridle
Affiliation: University College London (UCL)

Post by Sarah Bridle » February 23 2008

Hi,
Just a thought, but how about having a page (e.g. wiki) listing people looking for positions? Could save everyone a bit of time e.g. if some positions come up unexpectedly needing a quick turnaround. Or if an advert gets missed. Or for search committees etc. Could add by your name some info about constraints e.g.

Joe Bloggs: Anywhere in the world. >= 1 year contract.
Sarah Bridle: Strong preference for UK. Only considering Full Professor and above.

(Obviously this is for illustration only as I'm not looking to move right now etc.)
Could link your name to your homepage and cv etc.
I guess open to abuse, but the rumour wiki seems to work really well...

If popular then we could try asking Martin and Joanne if there is any scope for adding to the rumour wiki,
Sarah

Anze Slosar
Affiliation: Brookhaven National Laboratory

Post by Anze Slosar » February 26 2008

Very good idea! I would have missed my present job if someone didn't remind me to apply and I like the inverse application procedure a lot. I think that a system where you can upload your CV, research statement and list of publications would streamline everything further [i.e. every candidate on the market can have his own [locked?] wiki page full of self-praise].

Ilian Iliev
Affiliation: University of Sussex

Post by Ilian Iliev » March 04 2008

Sounds like a good idea, particularly if it becomes popular enough among potential employers to be useful.