CMB data help

Zhao Wen
Affiliation: USTC Hefei China

CMB data help

Post by Zhao Wen » February 08 2008

Dear friends:
Who can explain the meaning of binned data of CMB power spectra? How to get the binned data (mean value and the error bar) from the unbinned data? or introduce a paper for me? Thanks a lot!

Sarah Bridle
Affiliation: University College London (UCL)

CMB data help

Post by Sarah Bridle » February 08 2008

I thought the binned data was just the weighted mean of the unbinned data (with the weighted mean error bar)? It certainly makes for a sensible looking plot..

Zhao Wen

Re: CMB data help

Post by Zhao Wen » February 08 2008

Thank you very much! But, as we known, in the bined data, the error bar is much smaller than the unbined data. If is only the weighted mean, the error bar of binned data can not be obtained.
Sarah Bridle wrote:I thought the binned data was just the weighted mean of the unbinned data (with the weighted mean error bar)? It certainly makes for a sensible looking plot..

Anze Slosar
Affiliation: Brookhaven National Laboratory

Post by Anze Slosar » February 09 2008

Zhao Wen wrote:Thank you very much! But, as we known, in the bined data, the error bar is much smaller than the unbined data. If is only the weighted mean, the error bar of binned data can not be obtained.
Sarah Bridle wrote:I thought the binned data was just the weighted mean of the unbinned data (with the weighted mean error bar)? It certainly makes for a sensible looking plot..
If you add 1/\sigma^2 it should probably be good enough for most purposes...., i.e. 1/\sigma_binned^2 = \sum 1/\sigma_i^2

Zhao Wen

Post by Zhao Wen » February 13 2008

Thank you very much! I have known it!

Anze Slosar wrote:
Zhao Wen wrote:Thank you very much! But, as we known, in the bined data, the error bar is much smaller than the unbined data. If is only the weighted mean, the error bar of binned data can not be obtained.
If you add 1/\sigma^2 it should probably be good enough for most purposes...., i.e. 1/\sigma_binned^2 = \sum 1/\sigma_i^2