APS thanks

Kate Land
Affiliation: Oxford University

APS thanks

Post by Kate Land » January 16 2008

Not sure where to put this post... but I was wondering how others felt about the recent 'Thank you for refereeing for the APS' email informing us that
To express our appreciation for the essential work that anonymous peer reviewers do for our journals, we are starting an annual program to recognize approximately 130 of our 42,000 active referees each year as "Outstanding Referees". Each awardee will receive a certificate and pin, and we hope to thank each in person at one of our annual APS meetings. The list of Outstanding Referees will be published online and in the journals although each can choose not to be recognized publicly.
A certificate and a pin!! Feels like a bit of a slap in the face, not that many of us are going to be in this top 0.3% of referees. Given that they've taken the big step of 'rewarding' some reviewers, I can't quite believe that this is all they came up with... or has something got lost in translation (like 'pin'=money)?!

Alessandro Melchiorri
Affiliation: University of Rome

APS thanks

Post by Alessandro Melchiorri » January 17 2008

This could explain why I am waiting a referee report from PRL since
October (4 months...)

Pier Stefano Corasaniti
Affiliation: LUTH, Observatoire de Paris-Meudon

APS thanks

Post by Pier Stefano Corasaniti » January 17 2008

maybe there was a misspelling..
Each awardee will receive a certificate and a pint, and we hope to thank each in person at one of our annual APS meetings.
..it makes more sense to be rewarded with a pint rather than a pin...above all after reviewing a long paper.

Simon DeDeo
Affiliation: Santa Fe Institute

APS thanks

Post by Simon DeDeo » January 18 2008

Actually, "pin" here is "PIN". It's the access code to the super-secret Swiss vault that the APS maintains. The certificate is suitable for framing.

Alessandro Melchiorri
Affiliation: University of Rome

APS thanks

Post by Alessandro Melchiorri » January 18 2008

I wonder if one will have to pay for thia pin once he receives it...
BTW if someone gets one, I offer 1 dollar !