[astro-ph/0511647] Apparent Hubble acceleration from large-scale electroweak domain structure

Authors:  Tommy Anderberg
Abstract:  The observed luminosity deficit of Type Ia supernovae (SNe Ia) at high redshift z can be explained by partial conversion to weak vector bosons of photons crossing large-scale electroweak domain boundaries, making Hubble acceleration only apparent and eliminating the need for a cosmological constant > 0.
[PDF]  [PS]  [BibTex]  [Bookmark]

Discussion related to specific recent arXiv papers
Tommy Anderberg
Affiliation: independent

Re: [astro-ph/0511647] Apparent Hubble acceleration from lar

Post by Tommy Anderberg » April 01 2006

Bruce Bassett wrote:the d_A data actually prefer slightly more acceleration than the SNIa do
I've read through both your papers again; as far as I can see both points made in my previous reply stand:

1) You are fitting to continuous dimming models; the dimming I talk of is discrete. Therefore, your current fits are not relevant. I also rather doubt that your approach could be made to work for the small number of domain boundaries in the supernova data (two layers, < 100 total?). An MC approach would be useful (indispensable?) for the CMB analysis, when the number of domain boundaries grows to maybe 10^5 or more, but that's another story.

2) You are basing your conclusions on a discrepancy between the d_A/d_L relation for SNe Ia and radio source data, respectively. But as I already explained, that discrepancy is a natural consequence of the fact that the domain boundaries are transparent to radio waves. Fig. 1, and the way your radio galaxy data starts deviating from the SNe Ia data around z = 0.3, actually looks like a nice confirmation of the domain boundary picture. (Thanks!)
Bruce Bassett wrote:Have you seen hep-ph/0507020? It also uses domain walls and also doesnt work!
I do not use domain walls. (Sigh. What do I have to do to get this through people's skulls?)

That paper is based on a speculative idea about photons mixing with some other photon-like particle. Much like the models which you have considered, it has no energy threshold; all photons mix the same, independently of wavelength.

This is not the case for the standard model domain boundaries which I am concerned with, and this is one of the two reasons why your analysis doesn't apply to them.